Start Das Forum Die Backyard-Werft: unsere 152VO-Modelle Utilities / Flatbottoms 1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet
Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:

THEMA: 1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 15:06 #11

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
  • Dank erhalten: 141
Hello Andy,
Yes, the 1:1 boat is approximately 13-feet, or 4-meters.
I have used mahogany in places, too, particularly in the transom framing. Here is a link to a similarly sized boat I built, using the same basic construction and materials. It performs nicely and has held up well.
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353489
- Scott
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 15:08 #12

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
As promised, here is a PDF of my frame drawings and layout. They are not plans, rather merely what I made for my own use to construct the boat...
Anhang:
  • Anhang Dieser Anhang ist für Gäste unsichtbar. Bitte melde dich an (oder registriere dich) um ihn zu sehen.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Jo_S

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 15:10 #13

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
Here is a more detailed photo of the keelsons I added to give the battens and keel better rigidity, as also found in the 1:1 boat...

CometV_KeelsonsInstalled_2011.jpg

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 15:26 #14

• VollNormal
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Normal ist, wie ich bin!
  • Dank erhalten: 765
Chynewalker schrieb:
As promised, here is a PDF of my frame drawings and layout.
Thank you very much!

To build it in 1:5.2 one would have to print those at 115.4% (230.8% for the second sheet).
Um daraus Masstab 1:5,2 zu machen, muss man das PDF mit 115,4% ausdrucken (bei der zweiten Seite 230,8%),
Tüssi, Andreas

Of course we need rules. How could we cheat if there were no rules?

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 20:45 #15

• tschakaa
  • ( Besucher )
  • tschakaas Avatar
Was there a Class B Version with the identical hull-geometry?

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 20:50 #16

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
Yes, Sid built the Hornet in at least two sizes that I am aware of. All Sids were basically derived and improved upon from the Hal Kelly "Jinx" design of the early 1950s. There were several big name boat racers/builders located in New Jersey back in the day and there were many similarities among their hulls. If one guy found something that made his hulls perform better, it wasn't long before the other guys were copying it.

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 20:58 #17

• VollNormal
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Normal ist, wie ich bin!
  • Dank erhalten: 765
Chynewalker schrieb:
If one guy found something that made his hulls perform better, it wasn't long before the other guys were copying it.

If only they got it right, what it was. Not like that guy in ancient greece, dropping his pants at a race and then winning the race (which of course he had to do for he did not want to be seen in the nude, so he had to run fast to get out of sight). After that all competitors at the olympic games lined up with no pants on, because they thougt that would make them run faster, too.

At least, that's how the story is told ...
Tüssi, Andreas

Of course we need rules. How could we cheat if there were no rules?

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 21:04 #18

• tschakaa
  • ( Besucher )
  • tschakaas Avatar
Tjank you :) That means, we can use the plan for a class-B-Version, too.
Now I have a date with my best friend Mr. Google. We'll have a look about the length and widt of the B-Racer. :)

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 21:11 #19

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
Yes, the B will be similar, but is not identical. Also, keep in mind, these boats were hand-built, often "to order" to specifications of the buyer. My Dad's boat was a marathon boat, and as such was built a little heavier to take the 100-mile pounding over open lakes and rivers. A boat built strictly for short course running might be built a little lighter. Boats were also built to take into account a driver's build, too. A skinny driver might need a heavier boat to make minimum weight, while a heftier driver might want a lightweight boat so as not to be too far over the minimum weight. My point is, no two Hornet hulls were likely to be identical.

Another thing they might do was use the same frames in different length boats, spacing them differently. In the 1950s, Class C used a minimum 12-foot long hull, while D was 13-feet. The builders might use the same frames for both boats, just lengthening the space between them on the jig.

I think as long as you get the shape and dimensions about right, the building details will be similar to mine...
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: tschakaa

1959 Sid Craft DU Hornet 20 Mär 2013 22:51 #20

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
  • Dank erhalten: 2631
tschakaa schrieb:
Now I have a date with my best friend Mr. Google. We'll have a look about the length and widt of the B-Racer. :)
Tschakaa, remember David VanWeele of aeroliner boats has an 11' Sid Craft BU. He did a reverse-lofting and provided Christian (806er) with plans. So there's no need to ask Mr. Google for any drawings or dimensions. ;)
Keep the flat side on the water!